Gingivitis is a type of oral disease that not only occurs in adults but also in children. Not only causing pain and discomfort, but also gingivitis also causes many inconveniences in daily life for sufferers. So what is the cause of gingivitis? Is there any effective treatment for gingivitis? Let’s see the article with Dr.Muoi below.
1. What is the benefit?
Dental organs include teeth and periodontal tissues. In which, the organization around the teeth is beneficial, and the oral mucosa. The gums are the part that protects and holds the teeth in place. We can clearly see the dividing line between the gums and the cleft palate in the vestibular niche and the lingual surface.
The gingival part of the tooth The medical profession divides the gums into free gums and sticky gums. In which, free gums include papillae, gingival margins. This part of the gums hugs the neck of the tooth and creates a deep gap called the gingival sulcus. Adhesive gums are the gums that stick to the roots of the teeth, about 1.5mm in height.
In a normal state, the gums are very firm, light pink, no abnormal symptoms such as swelling, bleeding, bad breath. When infected, the gums will change color.
2. What is gingivitis?
The cause of gingivitis is caused by bacteria present in plaque and tartar that cause damage and inflammation. Plaque on teeth, both visible and invisible to the naked eye, is an ideal environment for bacteria to grow.
When plaque accumulates for 24 hours, it hardens and becomes tartar. You need to rely on the support of specialized dental equipment to clean them.
The longer bacteria survive in the oral cavity, the more important diseases they cause. However, gingivitis only causes discomfort, and does not pose much danger.
If gingivitis is not treated subjectively in time, the disease will turn to the bleeding stage. From there, it leads to a variety of other diseases, and the patient is at risk of tooth loss.
Children are very susceptible to gingivitis because they do not have a sense of self-awareness of proper oral hygiene, or bite their nails or eat hard foods. Sometimes the process of teething in children also causes gingivitis.
2. Causes of gingivitis
Unhealthy lifestyle, poor hygiene conditions will cause bacteria to form and grow in the oral cavity, causing gingivitis. Let’s learn some of the following causes of gingivitis to know how to prevent:
- Not cleaning teeth regularly: When the patient does not clean their teeth properly, the bacteria will have the opportunity to attack and interact with enzymes to destroy the connection between soft tissues, causing gingivitis.
- Using alcohol, tobacco, unscientific diet: The consumption of alcohol, beer, tobacco, food that is too hot, too cold, .. will form plaque on the teeth, thereby making bacteria easy easy to penetrate and grow. If this condition lasts for a long time, the oral cavity will arise problems such as bad breath, weak teeth, gingivitis.
- Using soft foods too often: Patients can easily consume soft foods without the need for chewing force of the teeth. If this situation occurs often, your teeth will become lazy, the tooth structure becomes weak and lead to oral diseases such as gingivitis, periodontitis.
- Side effects of drugs: Some drugs such as antidepressants, cold medicines, etc. can cause dry mouth, reducing the frequency of saliva secretion. This increases the risk of plaque buildup and the formation of a thick layer of tartar. This is the cause of gingivitis that few people expect.
In addition, subjects who use cosmetic procedures such as braces, porcelain veneers, etc. are also at high risk of this disease if they choose poor quality dentists.
3. Symptoms of people with gingivitis
In the local stage, the symptom of gingivitis is that the gums are swollen, red and very painful when touched. Although this is the early stage of the disease, it also makes it difficult for the patient to eat and drink every day. Pain and discomfort when eating and drinking are not very pleasant feelings.
In the period of periodontitis, the patient’s gums will now be inflamed, red, swollen, bleeding suddenly and causing uncomfortable pain. Especially after the patient brushed or flossed his teeth with a toothpick, even though the manipulations were gentle, the tooth roots or toothpick oil often oozed blood. If you often see signs of gingivitis such as bleeding gums, visit your dentist as soon as possible for a diagnosis and timely treatment methods.
If the disease is not treated early, for a long time, the gums will drop, making the roots of the teeth exposed, which looks very unsightly. Later, gingivitis will be more severe, these holes will be deeper, the gums and jawbone will be destroyed at this time, the teeth will no longer have a place to hold on, they will become loose and eventually broken. tooth loss. There may also be white patches or spots on the gums or even sores in the cheeks and gums.
In addition, you can tell if you are suffering from gingivitis through bad breath symptoms. According to research in Vietnam, more than 90% of people suffer from bad breath due to bacteria and plaque accumulated for a long time. Bad breath caused by gingivitis is often caused by pockets of pus at the roots of the teeth, making oral hygiene more difficult than usual.
4. How to treat and prevent gingivitis effectively
Gingivitis and how to treat it difficult? It will not be difficult if you always have a way to prevent or when you detect the disease early to give a timely cure for gingivitis, please refer to the following ways:
- Proper oral hygiene: brush teeth properly, use a soft toothbrush when cleaning teeth, and floss to remove plaque.
- Visit the dentist every 6 months. And take tartar and polish the surface of the teeth
- Use anti-bacterial mouthwashes like Listerine and Givalex
- Use anti-inflammatory drugs prescribed by your doctor to fight inflammation
- Eat enough vitamins and essential nutrients. This is also considered one of the effective ways to treat gingivitis.
Also, use salt water to treat gingivitis. This is the simplest method to treat gingivitis that dentists recommend. Currently, Dr.Muối mouthwash is a product that many people trust because it helps to reduce bad breath and effectively reduce inflammation of the gums. Ingredients from sea salt with 0.9% sodium chloride and other beneficial natural ingredients for the oral cavity, the product can be used by children from 6 years old, adults and pregnant women.
Hopefully, through the information above, you have known about gingivitis, what is the cause of gingivitis, to know how to prevent it. In general, gingivitis, whether in adults or children, will cause certain inconveniences and discomforts. So, regularly check your oral health, properly clean your teeth every day.
You Can Refer To More Articles:
Should I wash my nose with physiological saline?
Tips for Treating Allergic Rhinitis with Physiological Salt Water Simple and Effective
Instructions on how to hydrate with salt water to treat bad breath